Sustainability at MI-Apartment Home
MI-Apartment Home strongly believes in developing and managing properties that provide healthy environments while minimizing their global footprint. We have a proven track record of developing pedestrian-friendly, urban-infill sites in conjunction with existing and new public transportation improvements, such as Flair Tower and The Morgan at Loyola Station. Responsible urban planning and mixed-use development, where appropriate densities and uses are combined with smart growth principles, is the right thing to do for the environment and the communities we serve.
MI-Apartment Home recycled and repurposed the dilapidated 1800's Armstrong Cork Company into a trendy urban residence. In redeveloping obsolete or dormant sites, MI-Apartment Home transforms underperforming neighborhoods into vibrant communities.
MI-Apartment Home has designed several developments to LEED-NC silver standards, and has been awarded the designation of LEED-ND. Some strategies we have employed to meet our strict sustainable standards include:
- Promotion of alternative transportation through shared car services, bike storage/ bike paths and locations near public transportation and basic goods/services
- Reduction of the use of natural materials through the specification of recycled materials
- Recycling of construction waste and ongoing operations waste
- Reduction of heat islands with green roofs and reflective surfaces
- Reduction in carbon emissions through the specification of locally-produced materials
- Enhanced thermal comfort through individual temperature controls and operable windows
- Reduction in water usage through the employment of irrigation sensors, drought-tolerant/native plants and low-flow plumbing fixtures
- Integrated stormwater run-off with open space planning
- Improved air quality through low-VOC emitting paints, adhesives, carpeting, etc., as well as access to fresh air via windows, balconies and terraces
- Reduction in energy usage through energy-efficient appliances/windows and CFL bulbs
- Enhanced daylighting through the design of the building envelope and floor plans